Springtime - It’s when the snow finally melts aways, temperatures are near perfect and beautiful flowers cover the ground. This time of year has a lot of depth, promise and inspiration to start fresh.
Let me bore you with a little history lesson... In the 14th century Spring was called “Springing Time” as a reference to plants springing up from the ground. Wikipedia tells us spring refers to rebirth, rejuvenation, resurrection and regrowth. So, as beautiful spring flowers emerge from the ground, I say it’s the perfect time for you to emerge from your blanket, move your body and work on those stems!
The early bird gets the worm - That’s what I want to chat about, the key word being “early”. If you’re going to get fit, you need to make exercise a top priority. Put it at the top of your to-do list. Yep, that means waking up early. Here’s the good news... you can skip the gym!
Yes I said it, skip it. Workout at home and you’ll save precious sleep time. When going to the gym you have to get ready (you know you do it), drive there, chat it up with friends and then workout.
That takes a lot of time, right? So workout at home a few times a week, first thing in the morning. Set the alarm 20-30 early, literally roll out of bed and sweat it out! (I post several home workouts every week on my IG (@FitElyse). They take 20 minutes, max!)
Here’s a “Spring Out of Bed Workout” that requires zero equipment: *Do each exercise for 1 minute and then move right to the next without a break.
Spring Out of Bed Workout
- Cycle through 3-5 times.
- Jumping Jacks
- Push Ups (push yourself and do the real deal for as long as you can before dropping to the knees)
- Air Squats
- Plank Hold
- Tuck Jumps
Springing into action helps you get results and you’ll be chirping all day! Here are five good reasons why you should ditch the night owl habits and become an early bird.
1. Better Results - Research shows that morning exercisers are more consistent than those who workout later in the day; perhaps because fewer things can get in the way of a workout when you do it first thing. Consistency = Results.
2. Increased Energy - Thank you endorphins! The post workout jolt is like a super long lasting cup of coffee that won’t stain your teeth.
3. More Productive - Once again, thanks to those endorphins, the exercise “high” clears your mind and gives you the oomph you need to face the day head on. Working out can increase mental clarity for up to 10 hours post-workout.
4. Snooze Better - Since exercise boosts your energy, it can be difficult to calm down, relax and get restful sleep. Workout in the morning and that energy is put to use during the day and you’ll sleep soundly at night.
5. Eat Cleaner - When you start the day with a healthy habit, you put your mind into “health-mode” for the rest of the day. Then you’re less likely to sabotage your efforts with a greasy lunch.
Better than all of these, for me anyway, is having a little uninterrupted “me time.” As a mama, that’s golden! If I want time to myself, I have to wake up early. This means I turn in when the kiddos go to bed. I set my alarm an hour before they typically wake up so I can start the day by working on me. I exercise for 20-30 minutes and spend the rest of my “me time” reading, working, online shopping ;-) or actually putting on some makeup.
I can do whatever I want to do with that time. Then I’m ready to tackle the wild bears as they come out of hibernation.
-Elyse (make sure to follow Elyse on Instagram HERE)